|Maude Fuller Broadaway|
|Maude Broadaway, Director of the Gymnasium, 1892|
But after one short year and so many accomplishments, she graduated with the rest of her class in May of 1893. Maude was asked to give one of the few student presentations at commencement – she spoke on her class’s history. Dr. McIver handed her a diploma, and she went out into the world. But, her story did not end there. Maude assisted with this endeavor and helped the professors create a personalized exercise program for each student, concentrating on posture and movement. Often described as high-spirited and energetic, Maude eventually became the director of the gymnasium, which was located in the Main Building (now the Foust Building). It was here that the girls were trained to work with weights, clubs, and a vault. Maude also taught the students how to design exercise programs that could be easily translated into the classroom, as many of the State Normal students were studying to become teachers.
After graduating from the State Normal, Maude continued to shine. Like many girls of her time, she married early. Only a year after graduation, she wed Dr. Edward McKee Goodwin and moved to Morganton, North Carolina. Goodwin’s energy and intelligence seemed to match her own. He was a strong advocate for education for women and had been on the original board of directors for establishing the State Normal and Industrial School. Goodwin was also instrumental in founding the North Carolina School for the Deaf. Maude not only assisted her husband with his work with the Deaf School, she also took on many of her own projects. She was heavily involved with foreign missionary work, and spent twenty-four years as an officer with the Women’s Missionary Conference.
Her interest in education continued as well, and she became dedicated to establishing a public library in Morganton. She was known to have a large private library, and her interest in books was considerable. Morgan’s early library consisted of a closet in the post office before it moved into a small room in the Town Hall. Realizing that Morganton had a need of a true library, Maude founded the library association in 1923, and became president. She was responsible for keeping the struggling organization afloat during the early years, including making large personal donations to the cause. Finally, a one room library was established in 1923, with the hope of one day, having an actual library building to contribute to the intellectual life of the town. Sadly, she did not live to see this library open in October of 1935 as she died of pneumonia on June 2, 1934. Maude left a strong legacy behind – at her college, in Morganton, and with her four daughters, who followed in their mother’s footsteps, all attending The North Carolina College for Women (now UNCG).