|Laura Coit, Class of 1896|
|Charles Duncan McIver and the Coit family, 1906|
In the 1930s, Coit was put in charge of the Student Loan Fund, which allowed the students to borrow $250 during their time at the college. She not only managed the Fund, she also taught many of the young women to keep their finances. The Fund was subsequently named for her.
|Laura Coit at her desk|
Her health began to decline in the mid-1930s, and she officially retired in 1939. Her extensive medical care was quite expensive and her savings always seemed to go to the less fortunate. To help her pay the staggering medical costs, President Foust and Chancellor Jackson arranged for financial assistance for Coit. In July of 1939, the college changed the name of East Dormitory to Laura Coit Residence Hall to honor her. In the days after her death, Chancellor Jackson praised her decades of service to the school, declaring that she had been “the best loved member of the faculty.”