|Students enrolled in Commercial Department's shorthand class, 1902|
|Commercial students in the Typing Room, 1942|
|Commercial students training in the "machines lab," 1957|
For its first 37 years, the Commercial Department was led by E.J. Forney (who also served as the college's treasurer). Forney ensured that the coursework offered reflected the most recent technological innovations available for office work at the time. Training in new styles of shorthand and on the use of new machines meant that graduates of the Commercial Department were in high demand in the clerical labor market.
|Commercial Department students, 1966|
In the 1960s, however, enrollment in the Commercial Department declaimed sharply as lower-cost community colleges, technical institutes, and private business colleges began to attract the women looking for a one-year degree program. In 1967, faced with an enrollment of only 111 students, UNCG decided to terminate the Commercial Department and the one-year commercial program.